Exploring where life and story meet!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Passion of Legolas?

Besides for the sporadic Tolkien movie, I hardly ever get out to the local theater (yes we have one, it plays one movie a week and you can still afford the popcorn) as my idea of a good story and Hollywood's are fairly inconsistent.  We found a babysitter and went the other night to 'Son of God,' which was overall, fairly well done.  I haven't seen the Bible miniseries so this was my first exposure to the work of the people who brought scripture to life.  My major complaint is that Jesus is way too pretty, he looks like he could be an elf in 'Lord of the Rings,' or at least do toothpaste commercials.  They found the ugliest, grumpiest dude I have ever seen on screen to play Pilate (he does a great job portraying the indifferent villain) and most everybody else looks like they might actually be from first century Palestine, though anyone named Mary looks like she just left the beauty shop.  The violence was no worse than 'The Passion,' and actually I think less intense, but it was shocking, horrifying, and disturbing all the same, which is silly to think a movie about one of the worst forms of execution ever invented should be happy, enduring, and 'an instant classic.'  The improvement over 'The Passion' was that it actually had content before and after the crucifixion, making it a more interesting and gripping story.  Overall, it was a good Eastertide experience, to remind oneself exactly what Christ suffered for the likes of me and my fellow men.  Not a movie to watch often, but often enough to remind ourselves that 'we were bought with a price,' and hopefully we will start living like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment